Scarborough Borough Council has seen off competition from seven other authorities to win the legal team of the year category at the Local Government Chronicle’s 2012 awards.
The following services made the shortlist alongside Scarborough (which won for the transformation of its team):
- Calderdale Council on behalf of WYLaw (a consortium made up of Calderdale, Bradford, Kirklees, Wakefield and Leeds Councils)
- Cheshire West & Chester Borough Council
- Harrow Council
- Kent County Council
- Rochdale Metropolitan Borough Council
- Public Law Partnership
- West Sussex County Council
The main award of the night – Council of the Year – went to Southend-on-Sea Borough Council, while Copeland Borough Council won in the Corporate Governance category. Oldham meanwhile was named ‘Most Improved’ council for 2012.
Other winners included:
- Children’s Services: Cornwall Council
- Community Involvement: Rochdale MBC
- Economic Development: Wirral Council
- Health & Social Care: Glasgow City Council
- Innovation: Cherwell District Council
- Management Team: Derby City Council
- Public Sector Partnerships: Hull City Council (for the Hull Minerva Project)
- Public/Private Partnership: Suffolk County Council (for the Suffolk Waste PFI Programme).