The London Borough of Hackney has won the Excellence in Legal Services Achievement of the Year category at the 2011 Municipal Journal Achievement Awards.
The category saw the recognition of nine other legal departments:
- Harrow Council (highly commended)
- Scarborough Borough Council (highly commended)
- Lincolnshire County Council (finalist)
- Scottish Borders Countil (finalist)
- Southwark Legal Services (finalist)
- Staffordshire County Council (finalist)
- Cheshire West and Chester Council (commended)
- Norfolk County Council (commended)
- South Stafford District Council (commended).
The London Borough of Harrow won the top award for Best Achieving Council of the Year.
Other winners included: South Tyneside MBC (Excellence in Democratic Services); Sunderland City Council (Public Private Partnership); and Liverpool City Council (Public Protection).